Vacation Photos

Pennsylvania -- September 2007
Shanksville and Schellsburg
Bedford and Fort Bedford
Morrison's Cove south
Fredericksburg and Martinsburg
Marklesburg
Huntingdon
Juniata College

We drove north through Everett working our way up the valley and stopped at the Hall's Mill Covered Bridge and nearby church and cemetery. This bridge is the last of seven bridges built at or near this location in the 1860s, 1870s and 1880s. It is a 97-foot Burr Truss Bridge. Built in 1884, it spans Yellow Creek just off Route 26, about 10 miles north of Everett.

Leaving Route 26, we headed west on Route 164 to the small town of Fredericksburg in search of the cemetery and homestead.

Thanks to Dad's sharp eyes, we found the cemetery on the outskirts of Fredericksburg off of Mill Race Road and SR 2011, or Clover Creek Road. Located in the middle of a field, the cemetery slopes downhill east toward the Clover Creek Church of the Brethren and Rebecca Furnace Road. The oldest graves are at the bottom of the slope.

photo courtesy of Ed

After the cemetery we went down to the Clover Creek Church of the Brethren where Sunday church services had just ended. We met Pastor Dave who was very kind and gave us a tour of the church, some 200th anniversary programs and directions to Rev. George Boyer Brumbaugh's homestead. GB helped found the Clover Creek Church of the Brethren and services were held at his home (pictured below) prior to the church being built. It was easy to find on the road to Martinsburg, at the intersection of Fair Valley and Route 164.

One site we were trying to find was Rebecca Furnace, an old iron blast furnace referenced as a landmark near where some of our ancestors settled for a short time. Due to Indian uprisings and massacres, they moved back to Maryland. When we asked Pastor Dave about the location of the furnace, he summoned a member of the congregation, Bob, who lives on the Rebecca Furnace property. He and his wife asked us to follow them to their home. Once we got there, Bob pointed out the iron master's home (Edward H. Lytle, Sr.), the superintendent's home, and the living quarters for the workers. The furnace is no longer standing but some of the workers' living quarters were still visible. Bob helped me find several pieces of slag residue to take home. He said the ground is covered with it all over the area. Information on iron blast furnaces can be found here. Also see Sections 15 and 16 here. The furnace was built in 1817 and abandoned in 1882.

Next Stop:    Marklesburg

Home Page   Gardening   Links   Photos   Recipes   Wilson