Vacation Photos

Pennsylvania -- September 2007
Shanksville and Schellsburg
Bedford and Fort Bedford
Morrison's Cove south
Fredericksburg and Martinsburg
Marklesburg
Huntingdon
Juniata College

Juniata College
Juniata College is a small private liberal arts college located in Huntingdon, Pennsylvania. It is named after the Juniata River one of the principal tributaries of the Susquehanna River. In 1876 it became the first college founded by the Church of the Brethren and has been co-educational since that time. Originally called The Huntingdon Normal School, it was established by a young Huntingdon physician, Dr. Andrew Boleus Brumbaugh (Dr. A.B.), and his two cousins, Henry (Elder H.B.) and John (Elder J.B.) Brumbaugh. Henry provided a second-story room over his local printing shop for classes while John lodged and fed the college's first teacher, Jacob M. Zuck, free for one year. Andrew was to "provide students and furniture." Elder H.B. also served as its second president from 1888 to 1893.
   Pictured below are (left) Dr. Andrew Boleus Brumbaugh and (right) Elder Henry Boyer Brumbaugh.

First Graduating Class
Juniata's first classes were held on April 17, 1876 with Zuck teaching Rebecca Cornelius, Maggie D. Miller, and Gaius M. Brumbaugh, the only son of Andrew Brumbaugh. Two of the three students went on to become physicians. Gaius Marcus Brumbaugh wrote the 1913 book, "Genealogy of the Brumbach Families," of which 2,000 copies were printed.

New Campus
In 1879 classes moved into Founder's Hall, the school's first permanent building on the present day campus. The college was renamed "Juniata College" in 1893 for the nearby Juniata River and its watershed.

Pictured above is a page from the student newspaper, Juanita Echo, showing Founder's Hall and listing Martin Grove Brumbaugh as president. Pictured at left is Martin Grove Brumbaugh, the third and fifth college president. He served twice -- from 1893 to 1910 and again from 1924 to 1930. In between terms, he was governor of Pennsylvania from 1915 to 1919. He died on a golf course in North Carolina while on vacation.

We made several visits to the college campus in Huntingdon. On one visit we met the chief grants writer at the College who talked with us for quite awhile. He told us that the trees outside of Founder's Hall were planted by the first graduating class and would be carefully protected during the renovation of Founder's Hall in 2008. He also said that Jacob Zuck died in 1879 from an illness he contracted in the drafty Founder's Hall building which his ghost is rumored to haunt. He recommended we go to the art museum and visit with the curator which we did. She was very gracious and showed us an exhibit that was ending that day -- a pictorial history of the college which was fascinating.

Campus Buildings
Formerly the library (a gift from Carnegie), now the art museum.

The Brumbaugh Academic Center

The Cloisters, designed by M.G. Brumbaugh's architect son, G. Edwin.

The I. Harvey Brumbaugh House.
Isaac Harvey Brumbaugh taught Greek and Latin before becoming the school's fourth president from 1911 to 1924. He was the son of Elder H.B.

Home Page   Gardening   Links   Photos   Recipes   Wilson